Re: Plant Maturity
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Plant Maturity
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 02:37:38 -0000

> So any one in a colder climate, you can predict how new plants will do in your garden? based on how plants look, in regard to increases, as long as plant has spent summer in your garden.

Maybe not limited to colder climates. That pretty much corresponds to what I'll see in the spring if I see that sort of growth now. That's more true for established plants than seedlings. Those are somewhat more unpredictable. Some with no increase will bloom, others won't. If those that have increase and the increase grows rapidly, everything may or may not bloom. And, of course, there are some plants that increase to the point of being aggressive increasers, but don't bloom. They are less common than a bloomout type, but seem extremely efficient at increasing the size of the plant without blooming.

I think in itself, increase has more criteria involved. All those rhizomes I reset somewhat deeper have put on increase now. Of those I felt needed to be reset but left as they were, only one has put on increase. If I get time I'm going to go back and set the rest a bit deeper. That's not disputing the basic premise of temps and bud set, but simply saying there are probably other modifying factors.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA