OT: birdbath
  • Subject: OT: birdbath
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@txol.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:32:47 -0500

Very OT! This was an active place this summer during the unrelenting heat
and continuing lack of rain. The reason I decided to post it is that, quite
by accident, it proved to be extremely squirrel resistant. In fact, I've
never seen on manage to climb it though I've watched them make the attempt.
One mature, healthy squirrel tried for 45 minutes one day before she gave
up. I think it must be the manner in which the clay pots are stacked. They
can get to the last upside down tray, but seemingly the angle doesn't give
them enough leverage to handle the slant of the top clay pot that holds the
tray with water. In the present location, if there had been no alternate
water source, they would have eventually used the chains and wires to get to
the water. With the beginning of fall upon us, I thought someone might make
use of the design for feeding birds in the winter months. If it were to be
located away from a method for the squirrels to be able to jump to the tray,
it might deter them from getting to the bird seed. This one is 42" from the
ground to the top of tray that holds the water.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA - cool and cloudy, but not raining.

JPEG image