Re: Dennis got what he ordered.

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>The Harold Peters that is a member of this list and has posted a number of
>pictures during bloom time and the Harold Peters that was the Aril Society
>International (ASI) plant sale cochair and the Harold Peters that
>contributed the seedling I. korolkowii x I darwasica that Dennis received
>from the ASI plant sale turn out to be just one individual, me. Image
>attached of what Dennis's small rhizome bloom will look like.

That is absolutely gorgeous!!  I am *REALLY* hoping mine survives & blooms
& increases next year!  Regelias just have such shocking "electric" dark
colors...I love 'em.  I love their elegant shapes too.  Who is the
hybridizer of this thing?  All the book says is "McK 88-11".  I assume the
"88" means "1988"?  Anyway, thanks for posting that picture it is gorgeous!
Any idea if it's fertile?

>If you think that rhizomes is small, you should see a really small one in
>the dormant stage. You did not get ripped off. Arils are a desert plant and
>survival is the most important aspect. Small is a valuable survival trait to
>many a desert living thing.  How many large things live in the desert? A
>few, but not that many.

That's quite reassuring!  I guess it makes sense that desert things should
be small, but then again I've seen some monsterous onco rzs too.  Seems
there's an exception to every rule...always gotta be something to make life
difficult!  <G!>  So how tall does this thing grow?  TB? median? dwarf?
I'd be surprised if a big tall TB grows out of that!

>If you have a question about the accuracy of an aril identification by
>looking at a rhizome, it probably makes more sense to ask a member of the
>aril society than to ask that same question to the rather broad audience
>that this group represents. I will forward the question to Scott Jordan, the
>President of the ASI. There are a number of different groups in the aril
>classification. The appearance of the rhizome is one of the attributes that
>varies between those different groups. The variety makes for an interesting

You mean about I stolonifera?  If I remember right, I had 2 of the same
cultivar, from 2 different sources, and and they looked VERY different...so
I concluded one was mislabeled.  And then there was another cultivar of I
stolonifera which wasn't wasn't stoloniferous.  I'm only going from the
line drawings I've seen in books, but I made some notes in my little
gardening diary questioning their names.  If & when they bloom I should
know for sure.  I didn't take pictures of the rhizomes so I have no way to
show people what I mean...so it's probably best to wait for them to flower.

Anyhooo...thanks again for that nice pic!

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

Share your special moments with family and friends- send PHOTO Greetings
at Zing.com! Use your own photos or choose from a variety of funny,
                 cute, cool and animated cards.