Re: Re: CULT: Freeze damage

I hope not too!  Late freezes are almost normal here, and experience has
shown that they'll likely be OK.  There are lots of small stalks forming
and a few of the dwarves and IB's are in flower (but none were open during
the cold event).  A few of the buds that were showing color at the time are
opening slightly deformed, but they are not bad, and I think the others
will be fine (as long as it doesn't happen again).  I didn't see any
evidence that the foliage was frozen, even though the thermometers read
between 22 and 27 F.

I don't know how to explain it, but I think that Iris (bearded ones at
least) are a bit more durable in our dry climate than in a moist humid
climate.  I suspect that they are just less soft and succulent, and perhaps
the physiology is a bit different due to the constant coping with dry
winds, sun, and wildly fluctuating temperatures.  I have indeed lost all my
Iris flowers in years past, but it was a worse and later hard freeze.  My
fingers are definitely crossed though.  My Tulips definitely were not
happy, but a few of the last buds are opening up OK.

Dave

Uh oh, that's not good.  What I've found is that if the temperatures get
that low this close to bloom season, stalks are aborted before they even
start forming and terminals will often rot out.  I hope this doesn't
happen to you.