not TB: rhizome bounty dropped in my lap

A friend of mine from church who knows that I'm interested in iris was doing
some gardening today and brought to me two chunks of what she called
'miniature' iris.  She said they get to about 12" and are purple.  They are
a gift from a former neigbor, and the chunks have been growing in one place
for at least 8 years.  She just took a shovel and scooped out two foot
square chunks, soil and all, threw them in plastic bags and tossed them in
the truck.  She said she put out some rhizomes of these last year to 'finish
my line' and when she was looking at them today she wondered if they would
make it till their third year before they needed thinning again.  They may
have gotten a bit of a nip with the freeze the other night, but I can't

In an attempt to get some idea how individual rhizomes there are, I just
started to break them apart.  I didn't get half way through one of the
chunks before I had fourty obviously viable individual rhizomes.

Anyway, these will be my first of the shorter irises and I know I don't need
near that many.  I'm happy to share if anyone's interested.  I'll plan to
pitch anything that's unclaimed in the fencerows or the gullys, or whereever
Sat Apr 13.