From: Patrick Orr
To: Sergey Loktev
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: questions

Hi Sergey,

This is the second time I emailed you.  The first email returned

  1.. Black color is either dark blue or dark red.  This is a very good
question.  It is one that I have not given much thought to.  I would have to
do more research on the subject.  If you would like to research this too, you
can start by looking at the crosses made with black irises and what their
offspring look like.
  2.. A noncartenoid phenotype in my definition is an iris that does not
display yellow, orange, and pink colors.
   3.  I think asking the IRIS TALK people the difference between a wide and a
wild cross would be a great topic to discuss.  To me, a wide cross
        would require a lot more seedlings to get the desired result.  A wild
cross is one that the results are practically impossible to predict.  They
        are ones that are so genetically different, you will get a plethora of

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ