Re: Dutch: first bloom

Just noticed a large patch of blue Dutch Iris flowering in a yard in
Albuquerque.  Mine usually flower much later, so these might be in a warm
pocket.  Not too exciting to me, but still thought it worth mentioning.
Starting to see bearded Iris all over town, mostly just coming into flower.
Everything from dwarves and intermediates to tall bearded, and saw a few
arilbreds.  I think the positioning of the plants in relation to walls and
buildings makes a big difference.  Ive seen spuria plants over 2 ft tall
already, but mine are only about 6 inches tall.  Ice Follies Daffodils
(seems to be the favorite around here lately) have been largely done
flowering here for a while now, but I just noticed a big patch of them
opening flowers in the open area at a mall (planting date, or colder than
average place??).  Seems that our generally mild conditions since January
(lots of things started to grow in January, then February was colder) have
got bloom dates a bit shuffled this spring.

I think the main bloom of the tall bearded will be in late April as usual

That frost incident last week was patchy.  In some places many trees had
their new leaves or opening buds nailed, but other places the same trees
are fine and bright green now.  We've got some Wisteria at the botanic
garden that was getting close to flowering, and on one side of the fence
the buds are fine, on the other side of the fence they are all black and
dead.  Sort of amazing since the wind was blowing, and you'd think the
temperature would be more even.  It's a good case made for protective