Spring Rot?

Hi there! This is my first time to come on Iris Talk, so here goes my question!

I'm not a new irisarian, but I seem to have a lot more spring rot this year.  It seems to appear in the crown of the rhizome--where the fan joins.  I believe that it could also be frost damage, even though I am located in Zone 4.5      I trimmed all my iris fans to 4-6 inches last fall before the snow flew. There was a lot of leaf spot in my garden, and I did not want the virus to have a chance to overwinter.

Could it be that I trimmed too closely?

Do I have some strange bacteria in my soil that hasn't been there before?

I put bleach solution on, as well as Comet. . . does this really work?  and now we have 6 inches of fresh snow. . . it looks like it'll be here for at least a week!

I Hope someone can help me. :-}

"Bo"

Adam Cordes
Hillman, Michigan