Re: On another note

In a message dated 4/2/03 11:06:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
koekkoek@mtcnet.net writes:

> I also grow an iris named AGNES HALE, hybridized by Henry
> Turner.  This was sent to me by a friend in South Carolina some years ago,
> and
> I understood it was from that region, so maybe somebody in that part of the
> country knows (knew?) the lady for whom it is named.

I remember Agnes Hale very well.  She was from Georgia and was nicknamed the
Georgia Peach.  She and her husband attended all the national conventions
until ill health slowed them down.  She was diabetic and on the way to a
convention in Newark, New Jersey, her insulin supply had been damaged.  We
helped her find a drug store that could replace it.  I believe they are both
deceased now, but I will never forget the year that we saw them at the
convention in the spring and saw them again in August.  They had traveled all
around the country visiting gardens in their RV.  In mid-August, my daughter
and I were in a gift shop in Estes Park, Colorado, looking at jewelry, when
someone came up behind us and threw her arms around me.  It was Agnes Hale,
who hadn't been home since the convention.  She was a warm, lovely person.

Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio