Re: HYB: SPEC: I. reichenbachii

Ah!  Thanks Dave, I found it.

From what tiny bits I know, there are two species, balkana and
reichenbachii, that show up in pedigrees of dwarfs and (more interesting
to me) TBs.  I got the idea from discussions here or something I read
elsewhere that "we" don't always know for sure which of these two
species was being called what in published pedigrees.

Somewhere, I got the idea that reichenbachii was in the pedigree of
PROGENITOR, which led to WHOLE CLOTH and on to all the dominant
amoenas.  But maybe it was balkana.  Maybe somebody who knows more about
this subject can chime in.

The reichenbachii you have, Janet, probably is some I sent you.  Others
have looked at it and question whether or not it is reichenbachii or
maybe a hybrid with something else.  Or who knows.  It originally came
from Ian Efford, who grew it from seed he got from SIGNA.

Anyway, it is one I sent you so you could start hybridizing MTBs that
would like it at your house <g>

It is one of the healthiest, most profusely blooming, rampantly growing,
happiest irises I grow.  I have a few seedlings germinating this year
from a cross with PINAFORE PINK (TB), just for the heck of it.  That was
about the only TB I had open at the time with what looked like viable

>  I had flowers open on I. reichenbachii (yellow) this weekend - very
                   > nice!  Does this species figure much in dwarf
breeding? Janet Natale>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8