Re: CULT: boots, garden aids

Char, I've been meaning to post something about my boot solution -
thanks for the tip/remininder.

I have to wear lace up boots to protect my floppy ankle joints and hold
my orthotics in place.  I love all the diversity of hikers/boots
available these days, having had to settle for men's/boys high top
basket ball sneakers as a kid and men's high top work boots way back
before all these wonderful synthetic hikers came on the scene.

However, I absolutely hate the cleats that are on the soles of all these
nifty new hikers because of all the mud they track in and I'm not about
to take my shoes on and off every time I go in and out the door.
Pulling on rubber overshoes is much too much work.

Last week, the Coop had a big pile of soft, rubber, pull-on over the
shoe boots on sale for $1 a pair.  I bought a couple of oversized pairs,
cut them down to make some easy on/off rubber overshoes, leaving a pull
tab on the back of the heel to make them even easier to pull on and
off.  I cut them low enough that I can leave them on my work hikers and
still get at the laces.

These have little to no tread, so what little dirt or debris gets picked
up can be pretty easily wiped off on the outdoor mat.  Or if I want to
run to town, or am going to be indoors for awhile, I can easilly get
them off and on again.  Not a fashion statement, but they work great.

These boots are normally less than $20.  Tingey? brand, about a foot
tall with a wrap around snap on the side.  I am using a men's size 10
pair over my normal men's size 7/women's 8 1/2, US sizing.  Way too big
for regular shoes, but they fit fairly snugly over the hikers.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8