Re: CULT: Garden aid - umbrella stand?

Anybody have any ideas for making some portable shade to carry around in
the garden when weeding/fixing labels/ taking notes?  I tried to cart
around one of those big shade umbrellas for patio tables last year, but
it didn't work very well.

I tried putting the stem (?) of the bumbershoot thru a tool bracket on
my little rolling cart, and also in a weighted base.   Neither worked
well.   It was impossible to keep upright in any kind of wind, and was
precarious even without wind.  The last thing I wanted was to have it
come crashing down on the irises.

Maybe I can rig something using ropes and one of those big tarps.
Install a telephone pole at each end of my quarter acre, string a line
from one end to the other, then throw the tarp over it, anchor each side
to another line and slide the tarp along as I work the rows.

Hmm, maybe that would help with the frost problems too...

punchy from a week of rain, lots of weeding yesterday in wind and pollen

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8