Re: CULT: Dividing Louisianas

I suggest that since it is so big, divide some of it and leave some of it in the barrel to
insure that you get bloom this year.  Dividing in the spring here for me has aborted

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

On 15 Apr 2003 at 6:28, Bo Cordes wrote:

> Hi everyone and anyone!  Our snow is finally gone here in Northern MI.  I discovered a dead robin . . . probably due to the really late 18 inches of snow we got 2 weeks ago.  I don't think he found enough food through the snow! Okay, on to the pertinent question.  I have a whiskey-barrel water
garden, with a "Black Gamecock" Louisiana iris in it.  I move the garden into my barn each winter to keep it from freezing too hard.  Last year it nearly septupled in size, and I would like to divide it now before it grows even more!  (It is 2 inches over the sides of it's pot.)  Should I wait
until after bloom to divide it, or is it safe to cut it up now and transplant into my real garden?  The green growth is only 1 1/2 inches tall right now.   Thankyou,Bo