HIST: historic and an arilbred

Hello Folks,

Well, after three meltdowns this spring I still have some bloom.  Not much,
but some.  One that fascinates me is a historic called GRAY MOHR.  It is
also an arilbred.  What an interesting and gaudy bit of work it turned out
to be!  It's like the wild turkey gobblers currently seen on occasion now.
They essentially walk around, looking pretty dull and awkward.  Then, in
spring, they put on their mating displays and turn into these amazing birds
with feathers showing patterns and hidden colors in the sunlight that you
never expect (and are a bit comical as well).  GRAY MOHR does the same
thing.  It's flashy and gaudy and huge, but does it all without utitilizing
the parrot colors I generally associate with gaudy.  It's probably easily 8
inches top to bottom of bloom and probably 5-6 across.  Very pronounced
globular form.  The ground color gives the effect of true gray, especially
apparent in the standards.  It is splashed all over with random dark reddish
purple splashes.  Not bright colors, but the effect is gaudy and fun.  There
were a lot of 'Mohrs' introduced in the past.  It's nice to see what I've
read about.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA - also enjoying historics TROPICAL BUTTERFLY, ELMOHR, and
WITCH DOCTOR - the latter two also arilbreds.