TB: SPECIES: I. germanica from Greece SIGNA germination

There was a question posted some time ago about germination with SIGNA I.
germanica germination.  I have lot C 035 germanica HP 48 chr from NW Greece
that was probably collected in  2000.

I layered, chilled, leached, etc. then planted in soil in pot in the winter of
2000.  In 2002 one germinated, and this spring 3 more out of a total of 8
seeds.

The 2002 germinant has increase but does not look like it is going to bloom
this year.

Since this was my first experience with trying to use the refrigerator for
seed chilling, etc., the slow germination may have been partly artifact of my
methods.  At least half the seeds survived the experience, I see.

Similarly with several aphylla seed lots, the first germination is occurring
this year from the same SIGNA year, but I. caucasia (Siberian), versicolor and
some tectorum germinated promptly the first spring after the refrigerator
use.

I hope whoever posted the question concerning the germanica seed lot notes
this post and is as fortunate as I have been to get some germination from this
lot.

Neil Mogensen,  z 6b/7a near Asheville/Hendersonville NC