Re: HYB: selecting seedlings (was carried away)

Some of mine had to be watched for 6 yrs to see any bloom...

The ones that I'm hoping to get rid of by next bloom season out of the
300 seedlings coming up this spring are ones that will rot, die from
heatstroke, grow so slowly that they just disappear by next spring (who
knows what really happens to those - I assume rot gets them eventually),
or ones with maiden blooms that have form and substance worse than
either parent.  (By 'worse', I don't necessarily mean more tailored,
just not a pleasing appearance - things like tissue paper standards
flying all over the place, falls tucked under and out of proportion to
the top, etc etc).

No matter how much a seedling improves after the first year, surely the
form and substance won't change by several decades in appearance?

In other words, if I cross an 80s iris with something older, and the
maiden blooms are older in quality of form & substance than a 60s iris,
I will get rid of it.

Unless it's really cute...

<In fact we usually watch a seedling for 3 years  before decisions.>

I have a very healthy, nicely branched, pretty, somewhat small flowered,
nicely ruffled, gold TB with nice carrot red beards that I can't make
myself get rid of.  But stalks were falling down after storms last

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8