CULT: Stalking calibre

I was watching CSI the other night.  They cut down a tree and extracted a
bunch of different bullet sizes from it.
I was admiring what appear to be very nice strong stalks forming on Jesse's
Many descriptions make reference to 'show stalks', which always makes me
wonder what that means.
I wonder if you could rate a stalk with a calibre the way they do with
bullets.  Seems to me like you can get one of those little lettering kits at
Office Depot for 2 bucks that has the compass, and the caliper, and some
lettering templates, etc.  You could measure the width of the stalk with the
caliper and the ruler that is also in the kit and have a 50 mm/ calibre
for example.

but what do I know..