Re: Re: HYB: selecting seedlings (was carried away)

Hello Christian,

> So what you're saying is that a characteristic of an arilbred is a single
> bloom per stalk.  Did I get that part right?

No.  Not an arilbred.  An aril.  The oncocyclus species have only a single
terminal bloom.   The other aril species, regelias, have only two blooms per
stem.  But arilbreds have some other bearded iris ancestry combined with the
aril, so they have more blooms generally.  Often the more aril genes they
have, the fewer blooms and the less aril the more blooms they tend to have.
The catch, of course, is the aril 'look'.  It's hard to get that look and
more blooms per stalk.  There are some very nice hybrids out there between
arils and the other beardeds, but the true arils are still 'stand alones'
when it comes to many bloom features.

Didn't you acquire MOHR PRETENDER once?  I seem to remember you ordered it
without realizing it was an arilbred.  Last year or maybe the year before?
If you still have it and it blooms you will have a good example of an
arilbred.  It may have as many as five blooms on the stalk, maybe only four.
The bloom will have characteristics of both the tall beardeds and the arils.
It's pretty and very eyecatching, but it is a hybrid and will not completely
match either the aril or TB in its looks, nor in its growth habits.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA