Re: Re: Genetic vs Swings in temp, moisture, and exposure

Hello Donna,

> 1st, some of them look like swans! I think I've read the term "goose
> necking"...is that different than Donald's "snaking"?

Perhaps a bit different when I use them.  But I do use 'goose necking' for
the same aspect as I use 'snaking', only the stalks behavior define which I
use.  When we have periods of rapid growth and wide swings of temperature,
then on days that really warm, stalks will 'gooseneck' - that is they will
simply droop over the upper third of the stalk like a goose bending their
neck down to eat.  'Snaking' is a result of the same conditions, but in that
case the entire stalk bends, like a snakes body and can even lose enough
substance in the stem to go prone, or parallel with ground.  In other words,
like a snake.  Both can straighten up with cooler temps.  The 'gooseneck'
can disappear altogether under improved condtions, but the 'snake' aspect
tends to linger.  It can, however, lend a graceful aspect to the stalk
bearing the blooms at times (IMO).  Laying on the ground or drooping too
much is usually not good, though.

I also use 'goosenecking' when a stalk has been hit by a freeze and droops
over.  It's a goner when it does that.  There will not be any recovery.  I'm
unfortunately seeing a good bit of all kinds this spring.

Others may use the terms differently, but that is how I use them.

> 2nd, some buds that were swelling when cold came through stayed very small
> and look like they are covered with onion skin...will they open?

My experience is that some will bloom, many will not.  How successful a bud
may be on managing to go on an bloom after such damage may depend on -you
guessed it!- other weather factors.  My own area is very dry and has been
for a while.  I think some that will not bloom might have managed bloom of a
sort with better amounts of rainfall.  They didn't get it and many of my
beds do not get a surplus of supplemental water either.  Probably only about
10% of what I think you are describing will manage bloom.  More might have
except in addition to freeze damage they have to cope with a lack of
moisture.

My opinions.  Others may have different observations.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA