Re: Re: HYB: selecting seedlings (was carried away)

or should I just call you mr. steele trapp?

the best I can do is 'somebody the other week said something about a long
handled cultivater' and you can come up with me.....

no wait.... I remember..... you're the one who said I was sputtering like
Sylvester the cat!

you are dead on, I do have MP.  I don't think I'll get bloom this year.   MP
looked really happy in his spot mid block looking out over the neighbors hay
field, but then I decided it was time to weed.

My weed is grass you see.  And I went out to weed  and some of the grass was
nearly a foot tall.  So I says to myself 'that is too much grass to pull,
I've got three horses over there and not one of them will be able to turn
down such nice green lush grass.

My husband's horse was, of course, the only one of the three who understood
the concept of eating the grass and not stepping on the irises.  There's
still plenty of room between clumps, and horses really are able to keep very
good track of where their feet are.  My husband's horse volunteered first.
If I had let him finish the job everyone would be fine, but no, in the
intrest of fairness I let the other two have a go.

Spot would have nothing to do with it.  Spot's spirit was crushed under the
weighty importance of the task.  Spot only wanted the other lush grass that
was not in the iris bed.

Dana on the other hand, was up to the task.  She understood the objective,
she has such a dainty way of eating that she was able to get closer to the
clumps.  She's even smaller than the others so she fit quite neatly.
Unfortunately, she's only four, and she just doesn't know that she's
supposed to watch where her feet are even if she's being allowed to graze.
She set her foot down just close enough to MP to press the leaves down a
bit.  I favor her a bit you see, and I know she doesn't know, so I reached
down to ask  her to move her foot off MP, and it spooked her.  She jumped
straight up and came back down almost as straight right on top of MP.  He
might have survived that, but when I asked her to move in an orderly manner
out of the bed she took out three other clumps.

Poor MP is severely creased and even torn on most of his leaves. His
neighbor Bridge in Time, a first year clump of a smaller rhizome, is down to
five two inch stubs, and Swazi Princess another neighbor lost at least a
whole fan to amputation by hoof.

Now if she'd jumped like that on Jesse's Song I wouldn't have to think about
dividing her this year. <g>