Re: Re: CULT: Death Toll now robust growers

It's easy to find those that die here :(.  Here are three in their 2nd year
here that have been extraordinarily robust growers.  None bloomed last year
in their first year, but their growth so far puts them in the category of
single digit numbers for growers that make their neighbors look like wimps:

THICK AND CREAMY (Weiler '78) is the runt of the three.  Huge fans, lots of
increase and 4 freeze-shortened stalks that bloomed anyway.  Big creamy to
yellow blooms are noticeable even below the top of the leaves.

HOLLYWOOD NIGHTS (Duncan '01).  The middle grower, it's currently glorious
with 4 stalks of big, deep ruffled very dark purple blooms.  NOT short and
holding up well in the wind.  Probably is lower on bud count than it might
have been without the late freezes.  Impressive!  No one's mentioning it -
why not?

ABBEY ROAD (Silverberg '94).  Best grower of the three, tremendous growth
with 5 stalks even taller than HN.  Probably as close to true cream as I'm
going to find, less yellow than TaC.  As with HN, it's probably missing some
buds due to freezes, but for all the height it's still managing our wind.
I've been looking for this one for several years.  I believe I can quit
searching out the elusive cream shade.

I hope these continue as they've started.  I often see a good performer the
first year only to see our vicious summers take it all away, never to see
that initial good growth return.  These have already gone through a summer
here and look extremely vigourous.  They can join THORNBIRD, STAIRWAY TO
HEAVEN and LOS COYOTES as iris able to perform strongly under the variable
conditions meted out around here.  I coddle so many, it's awfully nice to
have some that just simply grow and bloom.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA - looking at a replacement rhizome of LUMIERE D'AUTOMNE
blooming.  Glad I replaced it.  I've seen nothing else quite like it.
Extremely ruffled in a golden & brown metallic combination, it seems unique
with nothing else to compare it with.  Anyone else growing it?