Re: HYB:, TB: Season's progress

From: Darm Crook
Hi John : When pollen dabbing my lilies I do it in early evening and find I
get  better results in the number of  takes . Would it possibly also work
better for Irises , just a thought .
Darm Crook@ Zone 1 maybe 1.5
Hay River N.T.
Canada

I'm in zone 9b, in a very dry climate.  I suspect most failures are due to the
stigmatic lip drying out before the pollen is applied.  I don't know if a
flower opening in the afternoon can "refresh" itself during the night, but in
the past dawn crosses on flowers opening during the night have been very
effective for me.  This year I am (unfortunately) out of work, so it is harder
to motivate myself to get an early start.

John Reeds in San Juan Capistrano, CA

-Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com