Re: TB: death toll (was: HYB:, TB: Season's progress) Ellen

--- Sandra Barss <barsssa@mb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> When did you plant Louisa's Song and Lights, Camera, Action
?
I lost a few moreirises than I usually do over the winter and
spring, but they were all  planted in mid-August. >>>

I counted today and I had over 100 new bearded acquistions that
I planted before August. We had the unusual (for us) freeze-thaw
nonsence last month. These were two I really wanted to keep. It
is no big deal losing a couple.

>>>  I even lost some new IB and SDB's <<<

I have in the past but not this year. I had situations where I
gotten two new plants of the same variety planted next to each
other and lost one and the other thrived and bloomed. I don't
think I have ever lost an MTB and I have lots, both diploids and
tets. Once an iris gets established, it is rare to lost one in
subsequent years...moisture rot (which is what I call it) might
do one in every couple of years. I have lost Raindance (SDB)
twice, as an example,  and will never get it again. It rotted
out both times..I finally figured out we are too darn wet here.

Ellen (sorry about your losses this year, Sandra)

=====
Ellen Gallagher  <ellengalla@yahoo.com> / Berlin, New Hampshire / USDA Zone 3a
Siberian-Species Iris Convention 2003, June 12-15 - Hamilton, ON Canada
http://w3.one.net/~wilsonjh/ssi.htm  (Siberian iris pages)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~median/  (Median iris pages)
http://www.irisregister.com/  (AIS checklist data)