CULT: Easter and Irises Old and New

Easter Sunday was a lovely day with a real Springlike feel to it, which is
rather rare here. It was also the day on which the very first bearded iris
of the year opened it first blossom - ALPINE LAKE, a very fine though not
recent MDB creation of the Willotts hybridizing expertise.

Sandra Barss wrote:

> I had some old momma rhizomes that I left lying at the side of
> the bed (unplanted)
> and they came through the winter fine, while the ones I had replanted
> died... of course, I
> had to replant the momma rhizomes now since they were sending up

I left the remnants of dozens of clumps of TBs, BBs, and IBs that I dug up
and divided last summer (with whatever soil clung to the roots when I
lifted them) lying on the top of the ground over the winter. As far as I
can see all of these came through the winter in great shape. As I was doing
garden cleanup over the weekend, I noticed that the divisions of WABASH I
replanted last summer were all rather sorry looking, so I hunted up the
unplanted remnant of the clump I had divided. It looked ten times better
than the divisions I had replanted, so I dug a hole and popped it back in
the ground!