Re: CULT: Easter and Irises Old and New

In a message dated 4/21/2003 9:26:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
laurief@paulbunyan.net writes:

> Jeff and Sandra,  I find this fascinating.  Can you, please, tell me
> where these unplanted old rhizomes overwintered - in full sun, full
> shade, partial - out in the open or in a sheltered area?

The first year we moved here (Missouri, Zone 5) we didn't get all the irises
planted and they were forgotten at the edge of the woods, covered with ice
from a two week ice storm that did in dozens of cedar trees.  Among those
irises was also Wabash and they all bloomed the next spring.  We have irises
all over the woods now from bits of cut off rhizomes being tossed there and
growing anyway ('course this NEVER happens with ones we pay big money for and
plant carefully!).  Every year I dig these strays, pot them and give them to
the organization that furnishes plants to the inner-city neighborhood/school
gardens.  We all win!

Median season is in full swing here with SDBs doing great, several IBs-LO HO
SILVER, CONCOCTION and a big fat bud on BLUE CHIP STOCK, MTB.  Cooler days
this week should make for a great show next Saturday!

Rita Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO
Zone 5, AIS Region 18