Re: CULT: Helpful Hints for Sure-Fire Bloom

Walter mentioned purchasing east coast rhizomes to avoid the moisture
problems encountered during long shipping periods.  Do not forget that
the areas east of the Cascades in Washington State are very arid.  You
already have followed the discussions about Riverview in Idaho near the
Washington State border and have heard all the favorable accounts about
these rhizomes.  They are small and wonderful.  They do not seem to be
affected by extremes of heat or cold.  We often have very low
temperatures and little if any snow in north central Washington State
where I lived prior to moving to Central WA and these small rather dry
looking rhizomes adapted and bloomed the following year in almost every

I do request that any bearded iris rhizomes that I order be shipped very
early.  Rhizomes that I receive from my own area have a high mortality
rate if they are received later than about August 10th and planted
immediately.  Once the iris are established in my garden about the only
thing that will destroy them is bloom out or "varmints" such as
tunneling rodents or fat raccoons who plow through the beds which are
 adjacent to a creek.

USDA zone 5
Arid central WA State