Re: CULT: moisture in rhizomes (was sure fire bloom)

Hi, thanks for the info Walter

I wasn't so much thinking about the period during transit (although that
could play a part),
but rather why an uncovered, unplanted rhizome would make it through the
Zone 3 winter
and a planted one would not.  The unplanted rhizome would be subject to
a period of
dehydration, whilst the ones that are planted would not be.  Perhaps in
order for an iris
rhizome to make it though a freezing period without damage it must have
under a certain
% moisture content.   Of course, then the amount of rain received in the
late summer, fall
period would make a big difference too.

I wasn't aware Schreiners do not wash their irises, I do have a lot
better luck with
theirs than other companies that do wash them.

SE Manitoba