Re: Re: CULT: multiple bloom per rhizome

Hello Folks,

When I see multiple stalks on a single rhizome, I've always assumed it has
been caused from injury (usually a freeze) causing the phenomenon.  They
occur more often when a freeze has occurred and the stalks are nearly always
more slender.  This year, e.g., I have seen several but other stalks in the
clump are single.  They do nearly always reach the same height, but I
haven't noticed any branching though there are side buds. So I've assumed
what appear to be multiple stalks were probably what would have been
branches on a single stalk that got all the cells rearranged due to damage
and ended up growing like multiple stalks.  Sort of like the two standard,
two fall blooms or missing/extra parts on a bloom that also occur after late
freezes.  Am I wrong?  Is there an established trait that results in
multiple stalks per rhizome?  Now, in the proper climate, reblooming
rhizomes that produce multiple stalks per rhizome would be quite

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA