Re: RE: Cult Over Wintering

Rosalie Beasley wrote:

>>>  OTOH, they seem to do fine with mulch and even a couple of
inches of soil over the top in Maryland. <<<

Mine are ok like that for a short while but if I don't take the
pine needle mulch off them pretty fast, they don't do as well. I
have planted them deeper but in this rainy climate, I have more
rot than if the rhizomes were exposed. Whatever works in
different climates. I get more bloom when the rhizomes are
exposed..poor things probably want to sunbathe after our
winters.

Also, not only do we have an abbreviated bloom season, we have a
short time to tidy up the beds and do the yard work. Everything
is compressed and try to make life as simple as I can and don't
want to make myself hating my garden work.

>>> Bob runs the leaves from the lawn that we've left lying
there over the winter through a mulcher and shoots the result
into the flower beds. <<<

Andy does that too and I don't chide him for it...I have seen no
ill effects. I used to run out and try to rake the mulched grass
off all the flower beds. He tended to do it after I had spent
all day weeding.

Ellen

=====
Ellen Gallagher  <ellengalla@yahoo.com> / Berlin, New Hampshire / USDA Zone 3a
Siberian-Species Iris Convention 2003, June 12-15 - Hamilton, ON Canada
http://w3.one.net/~wilsonjh/ssi.htm  (Siberian iris pages)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~median/  (Median iris pages)
http://www.irisregister.com/  (AIS checklist data)