Re: Re: CULT: keeping down weeds

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 05:54:05 -0600 "Doris Elevier" <doris934@htg.net>

>     Mulch. . In AR I used shredded paper from the bank. It was
> cross-cut, fine
> and worked great. I also used grass clippings. They also work great
> and add
> organic matter to the soil.

Doris, how do you keep the shredded paper from blowing around? I
sometimes use layers of newspaper covered with grass clippings around the
edges of beds or to create new beds. Last year my clippings got dry and
then stuff blew everywhere! It makes great soil when it works if I could
keep it in place! If I kept it watered down it stayed but that isn't
always possible. Ideas?
Also, I've been using a preemergent called Snapshot which is cheaper in
the long run than Preen if you use very much of it.

Char Randall
Melba, ID
Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!