Re: HIST question

Here's a puzzle for y'all.

I have an Iris that I've been calling 'Berkeley Gold' for years. Still not 100% convinced that the name is incorrect, but it's looking bad for that ID. After lots of checking and some help from Jeff Walters, it's looking like I have an imposter.

My Iris is small, an IB all the way. If flowers with most other IB's and it looks like a yellow I. germanica (meaning the real germanica, not the generic sense of the name). The flower is so nearly identical to the picture of 'Berkeley Gold' on the HIPS web site (and other pictures I've seen) that I always took it for granted that this name was correct.

Well as things turn out, mine is apparently too small (usually only about 12 to 16 inches tall, sometimes to about 24 inches in a really good year), it should have PBF and does not (or at best perhaps a meager trace that is nearly invisible; need to get out a hand lense and see if it's real!). Anyway, my plant is one of THE two common yellow early flowering old IB's that I see planted all over Albuquerque and other southwestern towns. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I had planned on doing some breeding experiments with this Iris, tried to track down it's parantage, that didn't sound right, and that lead to a total break-down in my confindence in the name.

The other, even more common little yellow here has finally been identified with almost 100% confidence (a purchased plant is an exact match). It is 'Sing Again'.

Thanks all,