RE: Cult Over Wintering

Good point Sandra. Not sur I can answer this other then established plants have more root mass ans perhaps more heat sink. ie: the more mass in the ground the cooler the rhizome is and less temperature differential between top & bottom. This is just a wild guess.
Current soil is well drained (usually) sandy loam, but last garden was hard clay and I don't notice any difference re overwintering except that plants seem to tolerate being planted deeper.