Re: HYB: Identifying pink carriers

Thanks for the details Neil.

A bunch of the IMMORTALITY X CELEBRATION SONG seedlings are really
putting on a show this year, especially in the ridgetop 'garden in the
woods'.  I'm finally getting to see what these kids look like, and am
realizing that a lot of them have potential as breeders.  Probably
most/none are worth introducing - they are not rebloomers, as far as I
know, and are mostly white or cream.  Colors that are certainly already
available in all sorts of once bloomers as well as rebloomers.

The question is, what to cross them with? My goal is still to get as
much diversity of genetic mix in some 'foundation' stock - irises that
will thrive, bloom reliably, and be reliably fertile.  And of course,
rebloom, be the form I like, have great branching, etc etc.

CELEBRATION SONG has pink standards, so I assume that means all the
babies have at least two "t" genes.

If the 90s checklist were on line (whine...), I could hunt for
IMMORTALITY kids & grandkids and see whether or not IMM seems to have
any pink genes hidden under white/inhibitor.

In order to maximize diversity of genetic mix, I'm trying to decide
which color backgrounds to cross with the cream group of IMMORT x CS
kids vs which color bkgs to cross with the white group.

Figuring out which branching/flower size/form to cross is easy - I'm not
after diversity in those categories.  But colors are so much more
complicated.

About all I know I don't want to do is cross purple with purple because
most of them seem to be line bred for purple.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8