Re: HYB: Celebration Song sdlgs (was: Identifying pink carriers)

Yes, Linda.

You can assume all the seedlings from the cross are at least "tt," but I would
take Celebration Song's beard color, rather than the standards color, as the
clincher for that assertion.  Don't forget that there are a number of white
selfs and bicolors with hot tangerine beards--and they are all tttt.

Some suggestions for tttt plus rebloom--MOTHER EARTH is a first rate
potential.  Take a look at Sutton's rebloom reliability list and look for
anything that has tangerine beards that will rebloom at least zone 8 if not 5
or 6 or 7.  Any of those will be sure bets for getting the firing line set up.
Just hitting the target is the hard part since you are dealing with a
basketful of separate factors.  Not only are you fishing for "t" --which
either half or one-sixth the seedlings will give in the first generation
(depending on whether Immortality has contributed a "t" to the mix), but to
several other factors affecting rates of growth, ability of form off-season
buds,  those that govern dormancy or non-dormancy with summer heat and/or
drought, disease resistance and ability not to lose the primary bloom in our
kind of winters on enough of the mature fans so there is at least SOME spring
bloom.  Can't call it a rebloomer if it only blooms in the summer or
fall.....

I note a lot of things with Mother Earth in their parentage, and I see some
very good things with one parent a rebloomer, such as FOREIGN STATESMAN  being
from TWICE DELIGHTFUL, from S. Innerst's 444-1: (Tufted Cloud [not Tufted Gold
as it says in the '89 CL--that's a misprint] x Shipshape) X 709-3: (San
Leandro x Shipshape).  I mention this one because of the genetics for
extraordinary haft width from the Shipshape and Tufted Cloud ancestry.  The
only identifiable source of "t" is San Leandro, second generation back.  That
means Foreign Statesman may or may not even carry "t" at all.  For its other
qualities it is worth tossing into the genetic pot as a foundation breeder.
It will add a whale of a lot of quality even if not "t".

 There's BREAKERS, non-t, but a very reliable rebloomer of high quality and
able to throw terriffic babies.  Those could be included in a multi-generation
project where you go after first one character, then preserving that, add the
next....and so on.  We're going to live forever, you know.  Iris breeders have
to think that or they'd just give up.  Gotta stick around to see next year's
seedlings (and the year after that....).

What to avoid--those that quit growing in the summer if you miss watering
them, like Concise, I'm sorry to say.  It's not alone in that character....
And despite its high quality Silverado seems, it is said, to inhibit any
possibility of rebloom in its direct offspring.  Suttons have introduced
grandchildren of it, though, that do rebloom.  An example you might look at is
their RETURN OF INNOCENCE from (Bonus Mama x Zurich) X (Mesmerizer x
Silverado).  Although not visibily "t" I suspect it has two or more doses of
the factor.  Mike Sutton might know--surely they have bloomed seedlings from
it.  As gorgeous as its pictures are, and judging from its pedigree, I'd
expect it to be a terrific breeder---and tough in our climate too.