Re: HYB: thoughts/questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Mann" <lmann@volfirst.net>

> ?==I'm trying to be more careful, but would appreciate ideas on how to
> pry those guys out of there when they are tight against the style arm.

Hi Linda,

Get a good pair of tweezers. I just slip one end in behind the anther and
when I can grap the base, just give a quick yank.

> ?==For those of you with a  high rate of success in making crosses, do
> you pry open the flower if it's not quite open, and do you add pollen
> early in the morning to fresh blooms even if the stigmas aren't sticky?

I always open the bloom before it would open naturally so the bees aren't
tempted to help. The stigmatic lip will be held tightly to the stylecrest
but you can open it by gently rolling it back over your finger. I simply
cram as much pollen as I can onto it and let nature take its course.

If the weather's been cool I make crosses early in the morning. If it's hot
and dry I'll make the crosses just as the sun goes down so the pollen has
all night to do its stuff. :-)

Christy Hensler