Re: HYB: thoughts/questions

Bill B in MS sent me these responses to my post:

I said:
<Some of my past failures have probably been due to making
crosses when it was much too warm and dry.>

The temps reported by Susan are very close to my experience here. Still,
if you do not dab the pollen you are guaranteed to not get seed.

I said:
<?==I'm trying to be more careful, but would appreciate ideas on how to
pry those guys out of there when they are tight against the style arm.>

I use a curved end hemostat. Style damage is almost non existant.

I said:
<Early in the morning, as blooms are first opening, pollen doesn't
stick.
?==For those of you with a  high rate of success in making crosses, do
you pry open the flower if it's not quite open, and do you add pollen
early in the morning to fresh blooms even if the stigmas aren't sticky?

The stigma does not have to be receptive at the time the pollen is
applied. Pollen has a relatively long life if temps do not kill it. It
may lay on the stigma lip and be viable until the lip become receptive.

From a practical standpoint, pollen removed from an anther prior to
"fluffing" will not mature when seperated from the anther and later
become viable.

Don't qualify here for high success rate most of the time. Pollen
strikes last year only about 1 in 50. Year before about 1 in 20. Year
before that 1 in 12. Same technique each year. Can't keep them from
setting this year.

In our climate pod set is a numbers game. Temps/climate are less than
ideal. Hence more attempts equal more sets. High success rates only
occur when we have atypical weather conditions. Like now!  Smiles, BB

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8