RE: Lycopene in tomatoes, peppers and iris (Was: Identifying pink carriers)

Chuck Chapman shares his experience with observing and breeding with apparent
three-t carriers, then continues with sharing his research in pigment
development and extraction--noting particularly that Lycopene is not alone in
accounting for tomato red--another pigment is also present, which, if
prevented from forming by shading the developing tomato with a piece of opaque
aluminum foil, leaves the shaded area pink, not red.

He also observes that looking at the lycopene in iris we are also looking
through less-than-fully-transparent colorless pigments that give the white
appearance to the petals.

Chuck--this was particularly informative and helpful material.  The three-t
cv's and seedlings having a discernably (but subtly?) different look to them
than the tt sibs is something I can affirm out of my own experience, I think.
At the time I was working heavily with pinks I began to have a "feel" for
probably parents.  I think I was observing, perhaps not fully consciously, the
same quality you identify.

I also found the information that followed especially useful.  Thank you!

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Hendersonville, Asheville area, NC