Re: CULT: + Beauty is as beauty does

>okay, so rot in the iris garden is just a natural thing for us northern
>people every spring? I am trying to work up to the courage to tend the
>TB's in my bed, but I'm afraid of finding more rot.

I didn't mean to imply that.  There's a lot more to inducing rot than a
northern climate.  *My* garden seems to experience rot as a normal part
of the spring thaw each year, but the degree to which it occurs varies
according to a range of factors.  Most of my irises grow in acidic clay
that largely defies improvement, regardless of how often or with what I
amend it.  My iris beds are also subjected to frequent trampling by deer,
which serves to compact my already compacted clay into concrete around
the rhizomes.  My soil is not soggy and does drain as well as clay can be
expected to drain, but it is certainly more moisture retentive than sand
or sandy loam.  And then there is the weather.  In other words, don't let
my problems with rot scare you out of your own iris beds.  Your rot may
be minimal compared to mine.

>I put a whole
>bale of straw on my unknown Grandma's iris, and it looks the best of the
>whole garden (100+)!

The mulch may have helped.  Then again, your Grandma's iris which I
assume has been growing happily, healthily, and fully acclimated in your
area for decades would likely have come through winter just fine without
it (as it probably has been doing all along).

Now go on out there and see what's happening with your TBs.  I know it's
difficult to face potential iris losses, but once you've done it a few
hundred times, you'll get the hang of it.  ;-)

Happy irising,

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/