Re: CULT: + Beauty is as beauty does

--- Bo <adams_iris@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> okay, so rot in the iris garden is just a natural thing for
us northern people every spring? <<<

Bo, not just north for sure. Some  border states have as much
reported rot if not more (Linda Mann was dubbed 'the rot queen'
a few years ago - not by her own choosing).

I live in the northeast and we have plenty of snow cover which
seems to protect us from losing a great many cultivars as
compared to those in little-snow northern areas. At least that
is what I am surmising from the posts on this list and its
predecessors for the last 8 years (I think it is about 8). But
there is more than that nifty nugget of info that can cause iris
(especially bearded) to bite the dust.

We had some freeze-thaw cycles the past month here which is
unusual for us with the snow going and coming, etc. But, and
this is big but: we are still frozen here...can't work the
ground yet. No 75 or 80 temps. around here. We were 31 this
morning and colder before that  The bottom line here is: still
only 3 TBs lost...so far. The next month, I have to be ready for
more bearded funerals.

* Last year I lost a Schafer/Sacks Siberian intro. which was a
real shocker. Someone suggested that I didn't plant it right.
(?) No problem with the hundreds of other Siberians in my
garden. I have found that the some of the bearded
growers/sellers are much better and more lenient in replacing
dead one-year intros. There is more competition for business for
one thing - could they be nicer? Nah..   ;-)

Cheers,

Ellen (cold and rainy here - no snow today)

=====
Ellen Gallagher  <ellengalla@yahoo.com> / Berlin, New Hampshire / USDA Zone 3a
Siberian-Species Iris Convention 2003, June 12-15 - Hamilton, ON Canada
http://w3.one.net/~wilsonjh/ssi.htm  (Siberian iris pages)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~median/  (Median iris pages)
http://www.irisregister.com/  (AIS checklist data)