Re: HYB: fall & spring pollen (was C Song kids)

Char, I'm not sure I know what you mean - if they bloom in the fall,
they are <supposed> to bloom in the spring as well.

Most of the rebloomers here don't produce pollen in the spring - some
aren't even able to make anthers.  So most of my rebloomer pollen is
stored from last year - either summer or fall bloom.  Stress from our up
and down winter/spring.

The same is true for most of the TBs - most of the viable pollen is from
the last blooms on the stalk and/or late bloomers.

So I stored a ton of pollen last year.  That has allowed me to make a
lot of early crosses for a change this year, so far with the usual
failure rate.  According to my notes from last year, peak successful pod
set wasn't until May 6 through May 16.   Impossible to sort out how much
of that was due to finally starting to get viable pollen late in the
season, how much was due to weather conditions at the time I was making
crosses, and how much due to stressed state of earlier potential pod
parents after coming thru the same winter/spring weather conditions that
made the anthers so unhappy.

<One of the things he does is to take pollen from
                   spring blooming and cross with fall blooming and
reverse.  Has anyone
                   thought of doing that with Iris?  Char Region 8>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8