Re: Re: HYB: pinks & Immortality

 From: Showtime Farm <showtime@bbtel.com>
> According to the notes I made on my Returning Chameleon pedigree the
> three generations back from IMM include only yellows, including
> and some lavender tones.  All of the beard colors in my record are toward
> the yellow tints. So, if basic genetics applies, and if I'm understanding
Linda's question
> correctly, it doesn't seem logical to me to assume there is any pink in
> despite the fact that he has a faint cast.

Digging deeper into IMMORTALITY's pedigree, it does have some pink
ancestors in the more remote generations. AMETHYST FLAME (a
great-grandparent of IMM) has pink breeding in its background, and AUGUST
GOLD (Smith, 1961), which shows up in the pedigree of both the pod and
pollen parents of IMM, is a child of PINK LACE (Sass, 1950). There is also
the possibility of more deeply hidden t alleles being passed on to IMM, as
it is descended many times over from PURISSIMA, which as pointed out by
Neil Mogensen, is believed by inference to be a carrier of this allele. The
faint bluish cast on the buds of IMM is irrelevant to whether or not it is
a carrier of the t allele, as blue and pink pigments belong to a completely
separate series and are inherited independently of one another.
> In addition, based on the descriptions that Linda came up with for IMM
> offspring,  both RC and Midsummer's Eve,  (assuming I'm remembering
> correctly what Enchanted World looks like) could easily have gotten their
> pink from the other parent.

Since pink color in irises is the effect of a deeply recessive factor (the
t allele), an iris has to inherit it (the t allele) from both parents in
order to express pink color in its flowers. This is also the reason why the
t allele can be passed down through many generations of ancestors, none of
which is itself pink.