HYB: seedling bloom & germination

Lots of losers on my first-bloom seedlings this year.  The "best" was
something resembling Birthday Surprise, nothing worth keeping.  A real loser
out of Honky Tonk Blues opened yesterday; the form is far worse than either
parent and where did those horrible haft marks come from!!!  Another seedling
from the same cross has such great foliage (no stalk yet), I hope it got the
other set of genes from its parents.  I keep waiting to see a stalk.

Finally, germination on the seeds (11 so far) from one of my fall rebloom
crosses: Double Vision X (Filibuster x Rock Star).  Probably BB unfortunately,
but should have pretty good to excellent form, great color/pattern, mediocre
branching, and hopefully the same incredibly fine appendages as its pollen
parent.

I'm not making as many crosses as usual this year.  Mostly repeating the same
ones over and over to ensure success.  Every cross so far this year involves
either Louisa's Song or Double Click.  Mostly I am crossing various blue
patterns and solids with Louisa's Song.  Double Click is getting some
wild-looking things and plicatas with beautiful colors.  I like what happens
when plicatas and luminatas blend into a hard-to-categorize result.

John Reeds, zone 9b San Juan Capistrano, CaliforniaGet more from the Web.
FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com