Re: RE: LA: Bajazzo (was TB: Frustrated, explain this one to me)

In a message dated 4/27/2003 1:01:36 PM Central Standard Time,
showtime@bbtel.com writes:

> Christian

I picked a low place where the hill drained down, (about 2 acres) to, and
through it. It only stood in water during severe rainy periods. Definitely
NOT what I would call a marsh. There was a pond about 50 feet from the space
and I only saw the pond full one time (12 years) and that was before I
planted the LA's.  They grew 5 feet tall and had the most beautiful blooms.
Walter gave them to me in the fall of 89 (I think) and I planted them in a
row and about 4 feet apart. I didn't dig them during that time and the clumps
has pretty much merged into one long line. Still, I got good bloom until I
moved the fall of 98.  (Seems like I did mulch occasionally with yard

If you want to get fussy, you can put them in big pots and set them in small
childrens play pools!  But I'd suggest you just pick your wettest spot and
give yourself a real treat!  Keep in mind they do like to spread out.

I also grew Spurias well at Alvaton by planting on 6 inch mounded rows.  They
like it dry. Planted this way, they tolerate more water than might be

Betty W in South-central KY zone 7