Re: CULT: borers

Someone had mentioned a few years ago to cut back fans in the late fall after
several frosts to only 3 inches. that way the borer had laid eggs higher on
the leaf were removed with less spring hatch. I know several will drop tohte
ground and find an iris rhizome but merit can help with that. Cygon 2E
sprayed is a health hazzard. and in New England where it rains everyother day
in the spring the chance for it staying on is slim. So I went to using the
merit granules. the combination of using the two methods really helped.
I think it was Walter Moores who gave this advice also he said to step on the
iris when planting and it will save your back. Sure works for me. My parents
will be happy I finally am listening to someone!!!
Now my problem is a devilish arthritis of my left thumb which I attribute to
using the claw in my right and pulling those stubborn weed roots like queen
annes lace with my other hand mostly the thumb. How did our forefathers ever
till with sticks?

Doreen F. McCabe
176 Carlisle Rd.
Westford,  Ma   01886