CULT: rot

<It has not struck my well-established
Sutton's bed, only the newest ones est. only one or two years.   Planting
depth is an issue someone mentioned to me.  The crowns of most of my fans
are averaging one inch below the soil level.  I fear that this is the
cause of rot!!!  Correct me, please, if I am wrong. > Hello Bo-Sounds like the newest ones are still getting' acclimated' - and your established bed is proof that most of them will do so in time.  I try to make sure my rhizomes are about half-exposed 0 and the heel, too!  I once read (sorry, don't remember where) that it's a good practice to have the heels of the rhizomes facing south - more sun? therefore warmer and dryer and less likely to rot?  But because of landscaping and other considerations (!) this isn't always possible, nor, I believe (IMHO) necessary.I would suggest you lift the plants, scrape out the rot and treat with either 50/50 bleach and water or 1t. antibacterial soap to 1 gal. water, and replant. Linda B.Region 6, Zone 62, Troy, MI