Re: CULT: borers/overwintering

In a message dated 4/29/03 22:49:33 Eastern Daylight Time, DWiris@aol.com

> We found a number of borers in the pupal stage last spring and have found
> one
> so far this spring.  Don't know if this is something new.  We hadn't found
> them before.

In books I have read it neve mentions that the pupae have over wintered. Has
anyone heard from Mr. Shear lately? I think he only mentions the stages of
the borer in his book and states that the pupae turn into moths in the fall.
Nothing about them overwintering. So perhaps it is new. Who do we tell?
Also I have found no topside signs of borer, no chewed edges on fans, a great
bloom and then when dividing find THE CREATURE so I am also wondering if they
can somehow go directly to the rhizome without entering through the fan if
the eggs happen to end up on the ground.
But this year,  early merit. No more fooling around because when dividing the
smell of the rotten iris rhizome is sickening. and heartbreaking because it
does not allow any established clumps to form really.

Doreen F. McCabe
176 Carlisle Rd.
Westford,  Ma   01886