Re: AIS: Judges work load, etc

this thread is facinating.

The 'backyard breeder' should reselect based upon what they are themselves
willing to continue to grow, but if they find someone down the road that
wants what they are throwing away... why wouldn't they let that person get
pleasure from it?

I think that it is obvious and logical that there are some hybridizers out
there with seedlings worthy of initials after their names, even some small
backyard breeders.  But does a plants worthyness mean that the breeder isn't
getting any pleasure from it if it doesn't get any awards? if the breeder
never even shows it?  Do we want something like Russian gymnastics teams...
we go into the gardens of our breeders and drag the worthy out kicking and
screaming?  (please don't get offended... I'm only trying to make a point)

I understand that it can be frustrating to not be able to get the judges
attention because he is swamped with so many others to consider.  But aren't
we putting a bit too much emphasis on the awards in the first place.  There
are good plants out there that don't have initials and never will, does that
deminish their value?

A possible way to reduce the number of seedlings being named would be to do
something within the local clubs.  Obviously if a breeder is going to name a
cv they are going to have to know who AIS is, and probably know their local
club.  Couldn't we require that a seedling be 'approved' by a unanimous vote
of say 5-7 members of a local club before it would be eligible to be named.
It could be any local club, not necisarily the nearest, that would balance
any political/personal issues.  The breeder would only need to provide 5-7
rhizomes for evaluation.   Then after say a year or two those 5-7 people
vote yay or nay... then the seedling starts to make the show bench circuit.
It would add to your seed-intro time but that two year period would give the
glowing parent time to cool off, use the seedling in crosses and see those
babies start blooming...  just generally make sure that they are introing a
cv that they themselves will continue to grow for a while..

well, lost my train of thought