From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net]On Behalf Of
donald@eastland.net
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 1:02 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] AIS: Judges work load, etc

>Couldn't we require that a seedling be 'approved' by a
unanimous vote
> of say 5-7 members of a local club before it would be
eligible to be named.

I wonder how THORNBIRD would have fared under such a
system?  Also, in the arilbred world some cultivars have
been introduced based on what they were genetically, not
looks or performance.  I wonder how such a system would
handle less commonly grown types such as ABs.  I would
think 5-7 people with veto power over an introduction too
few and perhaps not always qualified on all iris types.

IMO
Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA