HYB: lotsa' seedlings!

This is a fun seedling spring for me.  Lots of first-time bloom on seedlings,
mostly luminatas, plicatas, or something in between.  Two sibs to my nice
reblooming SA luminata so far; one appears to be a pure luminata with poor
form, tiny horns, and (at least this time) small flowers.  The other shows
some plicata influence, has no SA features, and I just don't like the shape of
the standards.  More sibs to come.

Decipher and Skipalong (crossed both ways) have also given quite a range of
seedlings.  Mostly luminata-plicatas or fancy plicatas or whatever you want to
call such things.  I really like one fancy with "ordinary" blue-purple
coloring and really great form (wide falls, well-ruffled AND domed standards;
better form than either parent).  One luminata sib had great color and
pattern, but the falls were a little narrow for me and the standards were
formed too much like Skipalong's (three interlocked Ruffles potato chips
leaning together).  Maybe I'll wait another year to get rid of it; I do love
the bold pattern and color.

Throb X Dream Lord = one of my ugliest seedlings ever.
Spirit World X Epicenter = nothing worth mentioning, although nice ground
colors.
Double Dribble X (SA seedling) = dull to ordinary stuff so far, lots of short
rebloom (last fall) and some horns.

John Reeds, in San Juan Capistrano, California
lamegardener@msn.com

-