Re: HYB:Selection of Seedlings?

whozher@mintel.net writes:

> what is a reasonable strategy for
> the number of seedlings to take forward from a first and second selection?
> What is a reasonable number of rhizomes to have for introduction, assuming a
> new, unknown hybridizer?

Hi Chuck,

I don't think there is such a thing as reasonable.  For seedlings it all
depends on the general look of the crop and how it fits in with what you are
working for.  We introduced eleven from one cross because that cross produced an
amazing variety of colors and forms, including some with unexpected reblooming
tendencies.  Many crosses are pitched entirely because none show any desirable
qualities.  Some seedlings are kept for further crossing because they have
some traits that we want to incorporate into a line.  It all just depends.  For
many hybridizers, it is a matter of how much space they have to grow seedlings.

For the number of rhizomes available for sale upon introduction, I have heard
the number 100, but that seems like a lot for a beginning hybridizer.
However, having your seedlings seen doing well at AIS conventions, as yours have the
last few years should increase the demand.  One hybridizer that we know sends
rhizomes of his upcoming/new introductions to judges all over the country to
get recognition and thus awards.  Of course, that can be costly and time
consuming.  Maybe you will get some advice from some more commercial type growers.

Dorothy Willott